The village of Pogni
The village of Pogni is located in the heart of the Chianti area between Florence and Siena, a short distance from the Marcialla hamlet, and divided between the Municipalities of Certaldo and Barberino Val d’Elsa. The Farmstead with agritourism bearing the same name of the village is located here and dates back to the 14th century. The little village, perched on the hillside about 400 meters above sea level and surrounded by stone walls, can be reached only by a dirt road, making it even more a part of the Chianti area’s nature.
Inside are a big farmhouse and two haylofts used for agritourism, the master farmhouse used by the owner’s family. The master farmhouse, dating back to 1300, seems to have been a destination of Boccaccio, who was fascinated by the landscape and sublime winemaking tradition of the area. Another building houses the cellars where wine is made, while the older wine cellars are located under the farmhouses. Today, as long ago, they are used to age wines.
Outside, surrounded by fields and olive trees, are a small football field, a tennis court, a big pool (20×8) made of travertine marble with beach access and a splendid view of the valley and surrounding hills. There are areas with outdoor furniture for relaxation, barnyards built with handmade Florentine tiles, an antique well and age-old farm tools displayed along pathways lined with typical Tuscan flowers, completing the entire outdoor area of the village.
The quiet and peace are a characteristic quality of the liveability of this old, small and remote historical village, located in one of the most beautiful valleys of the Chianti area.